Ritchie Bros. Auctioneers
Position Details & Responsibilities
Ritchie Bros. is a global leader in asset management and disposition, selling billions of dollars of heavy equipment each year. We help thousands of people around the world appraise, sell, inspect, buy, refurbish, ship and finance heavy equipment every month. Join a growing global company that offers endless career and learning opportunities with a work culture like no other.
What we offer:
Our Territory Sales Managers are the front line of our business, and are directly responsible for the generation of billions of dollars in gross auction proceeds every year. As we grow around the world, there are endless opportunities for strong salespeople to advance their careers – we’ve shown this over and over throughout our 60+ years in business. Here’s how:
- Base salary + uncapped performance-based bonus.
- Comprehensive medical and dental benefits.
- 401(k) and Employee Share Plan, both with company matching.
- Company car, laptop, smart phone, expense account.
- Ongoing training, professional development and a tuition reimbursement program.
We’re looking for a Territory Manager covering the Chicago Metro Area in Illinois.
The core of the job is to secure heavy equipment consignments and fill the auction yard with iron. To do this, you’ll work with everyone from sole proprietors and major contractors to rental companies and manufacturers:
- Promotes the auction as the best way of disposing of excess equipment.
- Develops new business for Ritchie Bros.
- Manages the existing customer list and adds new prospects.
- Attends customer meetings and prepares presentations for prospective customers.
- Appraises, photographs, documents and prices equipment in the field.
- Develops repair and refurbishing budgets for appraised equipment as required.
- Ensures that consigned equipment meets regulations for the country where it is to be sold.
- Ensures the appropriate contract is correctly filled out and forwarded to the local office and following up on changes to auction contracts.
- Manages the delivery of consigned equipment.
- Obtains paperwork from consignors (titles, registrations etc.).
- Assists with post-sale conflict resolution.
- Works at RBA sales in the assigned territory and in other areas.
- Attends competitors’ auctions.
- Ensures standard RBA procedures are followed.
- Acts as ringman or clerk at an RBA auction if required.
Here’s what you bring:
- 5+ years in a structured outside / field sales role, and a consistent track-record of meeting / exceeding quotas.
- The ability to travel 1-2 nights per week to cover the territory, as well as up to a week 5 times per year to attend auctions.
- You’ll have to maintain a valid, clean driver’s license.
- It helps if you have experience around construction equipment.
- Strong communication skills, especially when it comes to listening.
- A head for numbers, and the ability to make sound decisions quickly in a fast-paced setting.
- Strong presentation, strategic thinking, negotiation and closing skills.
- You’re relentlessly driven to seek new business. For you, time behind a desk is time lost.
- You’re competitive, but you never sacrifice integrity to win business.
- A natural ability at building authentic customer relationships.
- A strong work ethic without sacrificing your sense of humor or ability to have fun on the job.
To get an idea of what our auctions are like, you can check out some auction videos on YouTube right here: http://bit.ly/KKL9Fz