Brandeis Machinery and Supply
Position Details & Responsibilities
The basic purpose of the Vice President - Indiana Sales Manager is to oversee, guide, coordinate and aggressively promote the sale of mobile equipment through field sales representatives, to the users of such equipment in the Indianapolis, South Bend, and Ft Wayne Brandeis service area.
- Direction of Sales Force - Direct the daily activity of the machine sales representatives to assure appropriate sales coverage for the products offered by the company. Working directly with the salesmen on their planned calls and activities, identification and coordination of training needs to maintain an appropriate skill level and counseling with sales representatives on their performance. This will assure we have a continuously highly motivated, efficient, qualified sales force. Work in coordination with the Corporate/Certified Rental Manager and Certified Rental Salesmen to promote our rental business across our entire sales force
- Customer Development - Identification of key customers and management of the development and maintenance of customer relationships is critical to the success of this position. This will be accomplished through regular customer job and office visits and active participation in appropriate trade associations. This position must also stay abreast of each customer’s business activity and know the intricacies of those activities, such as customer’s key organizational changes, mergers, acquisitions, significant financial conditions, etc.
- Industry Stature – Having Brandeis considered a major player in the industry is key to acceptance of the products we represent and early identification trends and related equipment procurement. To that end the incumbent is expected to participate in Industry Association’s, (ICI, BIC, IMAA, APAI, etc.) in a meaningful way and hold Board positions if possible.
- Sales Strategy Development - This manager must have an in-depth understanding of the manufacturer’s marketing programs and how those programs coordinate with our company marketing programs. This knowledge and understanding, together with an in-depth understanding of our markets and customers would result in development of sales strategies to be implemented by working directly with the sales representatives on machine quotations. This position also requires regular communication with the President, other Regional Sales Managers, Sales and Rental Service Managers and the Corporate/Certified Rental Manager for consultation on developing of these strategies.
- Relationship with Manufacturers - This manager together with the CEO and President, must assure Brandeis continues to have a superior relationship with Komatsu, Wirtgen, EpiRoc, Sennebogen and all our equipment suppliers. The primary measurement of manufacturer satisfaction is above average market share for their products. To that end, this manager must maintain contact with and work with the manufacturer’s representatives and working through and/or with the President to assure there are appropriate marketing programs in place to accomplish the share objectives. Until tenure in position, senior management will retain the primary responsibility for liaison with the manufacturers.
- Administrative Activities - Many administrative matters will be handled by the Sales and Rental Services Manager however, this manager will be directly responsible for developing annual budgets, sales and marketing plans, etc. as it relates to Indiana machinery sales. The manager will participate in development of strategic plans as well as other general promotion and development programs. The manager will also be proficient in all internal systems (CRM, NDS, etc.).
Nature and Scope of the Position
- Assignment, Review and Approval of Work - This position obtains results from the communication and coordination of the selling process with the field salesmen, Indiana Regional Product Support Manager, Regional Managers, Sales and Rental Services Manager, Corporate/Certified Rental Manager, President and CEO.
- Responsibility and Decision-Making Authority - Generally this position has full responsibility for day-to-day guidance of the machine salesmen, although, this manager will rely on other manager’s input for purposes of determining and evaluating corporate objectives. This manager will promote a teamwork environment across all departments and work closely with the rental department and machine control division, among others. Authority is granted through overall pre-established guidelines and is only limited wherein it possesses undo exposure to the company. This position has direct responsibility for personnel and is influential in changing corporate policy but only has involvement in changing corporate policy on an advisory basis.
- Relationships with Outside Organizations: This position’s primary relationship with outside organizations is with customers in the Indiana Brandeis service area and their associations in general.
- Specialized or Technical Knowledge: A high level of knowledge of equipment application, sales techniques, developing and giving sales presentations and performing job studies is required for successful performance of this position. These skills are acquired through field operations experience, manufacturer’s schools, sales training seminars, computer seminars, etc. For effective participation in associations, etc., it will require a personality compatible with the entertainment and development function.
- Bachelor`s degree in a sales/business management field preferred or a High School Diploma and equivalent sales experience in a heavy equipment dealership/sales management role will be considered.
- 10+ years of combined sales & management experience
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Possess knowledge of heavy equipment applications
- Discretion in handling confidential company information
- Positive personality, team player, problem solver, self-starter, outstanding integrity, superior communicator.
- Able to travel overnight periodically for product training or company related business
- The individual should be a self-starter and not require close daily supervision
- The individual should be proactive and continually aspire to greater performance by the entire company
- The individual should possess a capacity for a large amount of work; evenings and weekends are not unusual
- The individual should master computer skill for analysis (spread sheet) and presentations (Power Point, Word, Excel, etc.)
- The individual must have an understanding of the entire company and actions must demonstrate the needs of the entire company are considered in the daily activity
- The individual must be a team player and realize that product support is critical to this individual’s success
- Must pass background check, employment physical and drug screen.