Hemphill Construction Company, Inc.
Position Details & Responsibilities
This position is located in Florence, MS. Candidates within a 40-mile radius of Florence are preferred.
General Summary of the Position:
Responsible for day to day operations of the service/maintenance shop, welding shop and small tools shop for Hemphill, Suncoast, and MSI. Directs a crew of mechanics and welder(s). Manages skilled work in the repair and maintenance of all company-owned and/or rental equipment.
- Plan, coordinate, dispatch and supervise maintenance activities of mechanics and welder(s).
- Track and record daily hours of the crew. Reports sent weekly to Payroll.
- Ensure maintenance and repairs are completed correctly, safely and in a timely fashion.
- Interface with Equipment Manager to ensure all company, personnel and budget/expense policies and procedures are followed.
- Perform DOT inspections on trucks / IFTA stickers.
- Conduct weekly safety meetings.
- Implement tags/renewals for licensing vehicles.
- Interface with all project managers, superintendents and/or foremen as required in the establishment of projected maintenance and repair schedules.
- Ensure that materials, manpower, tools, and equipment are available when needed.
- Provide prioritized work activity instructions to all crew members and monitor their progress.
- Assist with the implementation/interpretation of safety programs.
- Input daily service log books, time sheets, and other job-related paperwork
- Attend and/or facilitate equipment and safety meetings.
- Must have prior approval from the Equipment Manager for additional personnel and/or personnel changes.
- Communicate with vendors, rental companies, and outside maintenance companies. File necessary warranty claims, where applicable. Review CSA reports, oil sample reports, etc.
- Coordinate the mobilization of equipment with Equipment Manager and/or Complex Manager.
- Order and schedule filter, oil and other stock inventory for the mechanic shop and welding shop (including, but not limited to, the ice machine outside the shop).
- Supervise installation and completion of work on time and budget.
- Maintain a clean shop/yard area: ensure all tools and equipment are picked up and secure job site each day in order to eliminate potential hazards.
- Ensure that proper safety and incident reporting procedures are followed. Bring problems to the attention of the Equipment Manager and/or Safety Director.
- From time to time, cook meals for field and/or office crews via the company provided BBQ trailer to promote company morale.
- Manage, direct and supervise maintenance shop and small tools shop personnel.
Required Knowledge, Skill, and Abilities:
- Knowledge and experience reading, understanding, and implementing maintenance schedules/schematics/parts books.
- Basic mathematical / computer skills are required.
- Excellent communication skills to lead mechanics/welder(s) in labor, equipment maintenance, and repairs.
- Thorough knowledge of proper use of equipment, tools, materials, and supplies used in heavy construction work.
- Thorough knowledge of applicable safety procedures.
- Ability to work independently and make appropriate decisions.
- Ability to effectively manage, direct and coach subordinate employees.
- Ability to focus on providing quality customer service to internal and possibly external customers.
- Ability to meet attendance schedule with dependability and consistency.
Required Education, Training and Experience:
- Must have at least 10+ years of experience in the heavy construction equipment industry.
- High school diploma or equivalent (GED) required; some college preferred.
- Valid appropriate state driver’s license (general operator license) required; Class A or B CDL strongly preferred.
- OSHA certifications are a plus (30hr training, trench shoring, confined space and first aid)
- Any combination of education and experience that demonstrates the knowledge and ability to perform the work.