General Equipment & Supplies
Position Details & Responsibilities
The Sales Representative will be responsible for selling, renting, and leasing heavy construction, primarily aggregate and material handling (Conveying) equipment, both new and used, securing an assigned amount of profitable business for the company through proper planning, adequate territory coverage, and thorough administration. Must live within the boundaries of the branch territory, preferably closer to Des Moines, Waterloo, Cedar Rapids or Iowa City.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for the coverage, retention, development, and customer satisfaction within an assigned sales territory
- Secure orders, locate and determine needs of new prospects; point out the benefits of the equipment, and emphasize the advantages of dealing with the company
- Help customers solve problems, provide technical assistance as needed, assist in making job estimates, keep customers up to date on new developments
- Keep informed on new contracts and opportunities; settle complaints, establish and maintain personal relations with customers; assist at exhibits, demonstrations and meetings
- Keep familiar with new products developed by the company and by competition, keep company informed of changes which can affect his/her performance
- Maintain call schedules (eventually using a CRM program), prepare quotes and sales orders in a complete and accurate manner
- Follow up on all leads, contract lettings and inquiries; and follow through on all potential sales deals
- Maintain required communications; advise superiors of all changes in his territory which can affect company success
- Communicate with other company personnel, such as service, parts, CSSR’s, and admin personnel to communicate customer issues or potential for parts and service sales
- See that equipment is correctly delivered and meets all of the conditions of the sale; take action to render prompt service in case of any deficiencies
- Work with the Sales Manager(s) and Marketing/Advertising in developing and promoting advertising specials, featured items and/or services
- Work closely with the Customer Finance Coordinator in regard to condition of customer accounts, as well as financing contracts
- Regularly attend educational and training programs covering company policies, department objectives, products services and programs, and professional salesmanship and personal growth
- Controls travel, telephone and entertainment expenses and responsible for keeping accurate expense records and submitting them in a timely manner
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Sales Managers
- Extensive background in construction and / or heavy construction equipment
- Minimum of 2 years experience in sales, service or product support
- Minimum 2-year technical degree in related field or 4-year college degree or equivalent
- Requires extensive travel – often requires several days and nights per week on the road.
- Requires salesperson to travel for many different reasons, such as training, trade shows, etc.
- An above average computer comfort level of or willingness to learn Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, Power Point, MS Outlook, CRM programs such as Goldmine or Sales Logic and Distributor Operating systems such as MTA or NDS
ADDITIONAL JOB REQUIREMENTS:
- Must have a positive mental attitude
- Must have excellent customer service skills, both internal and external customers
- Must be personable, highly motivated, reliable, ethical, and able to adapt to all forces around them – customers, suppliers, coworkers, and manufacturers
- Attain short- and long-term objectives through good time management and planning
- Strong interpersonal skills and oral/written communication skills
- Organizational skills with ability to effectively manage multiple projects
- Work at obtaining a level of expertise in areas such as undercarriage inspections, walk around inspections, safe operator procedures, etc.
- Ability to balance the business needs and goals of the company while looking out for the best interests of our customers
NATURE AND SCOPE OF JOB:
- Requires prolonged sitting with periodic lifting, walking, standing, bending, stooping, and stretching
- Requires the ability to lift 50 - 75 lbs.
- Requires a valid driver’s license and the ability to maintain an insurable driving record
The duties described above are the general nature and levels of work performed, but are not intended to be a complete comprehensive list of all the duties, activities, and responsibilities required of job incumbents. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.